Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thoughts on: the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness

The Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness
(my own photo)
I've finished reading Monsters of Men, and I wanted to talk about it.  However, it is the final installment in a brilliant trilogy, so I thought that I would talk about the series as a whole.  

*spoiler alert*

The Knife of Never Letting Go was a really exciting, fast paced book.  I brought it with me on holidays, hoping that it would be long enough to last me the full three weeks, but I ended up reading it within a few days.

You could argue that the whole book is just one very long chase sequence, and you do have a point.  However, I think that there was enough character development to prevent it from feeling stale.

The idea of everyone being able to read everyone else's minds was interesting, but then again I don't think that if you could read someone's mind that it would just take the form of a sentence. A lot of thought is visual and otherwise non-verbal, and I'm not sure if the book really dealt with that aspect of it.

I thought that the moral ambiguity that was introduced in The Ask and the Answer was thought-provoking.  In most adventure novels there is a really strong good-evil dichotomy, and I thought that this was a really interesting break from this tradition.

However, there was one thing that really irked me, and that was the constant game of "Ben's dead, no wait he's not, no wait he is, no wait...".  I think that there is only so many times you can justifiably re-incarnate a character.  In this series Death is Cheap .

The ending was also a bit of a let down. Either he should have just killed Todd off, or not killed him at all.  It seems like he's still leaving the back door open to write more books in the series, and it gets on my nerves when writers do that.

Chances of finding it in my imaginary bookstore: 80%