Thursday, July 18, 2013

Blogging Nanowrimo: Part 2


My cousins were visiting last week, and I fell really behind on my word count. So I have spent the last couple of days playing catch-up.  The thing about Nanowrimo is when you fall behind, it can seem really daunting to try and get back on target. Every time you get a bit closer to where you're supposed to be, it's the next day, and now you have another 1,667 words to catch up on.

Even if you have kept it up and have been consistent, the middle of the month can be hard.  The romance of the first week is over, and you still have a long way to go. So, I thought that the theme of this blog could be how to keep motivated.




1. Music

I've been listening to music a lot while writing.  This is partially because my neighbor delights in using an incredibly loud lawnmower right next to my window.  However, it's also a really good motivator.  I find that I type a lot faster when I listen to upbeat music.

2. Take it one day at a time

Sometimes just thinking about the thousands of words you have to write can make the whole task feel much more daunting.  Sometimes it's just best to focus on today's word count, and not to worry about your end goal.

3. Update your word count

I think I update mine every couple of hundred words.  I find it really helps to see how much closer you are getting to your goal, and I feel like I've accomplished something.

4. Take a break

You're not going to get anything done by staring at your computer screen, and sometimes the best moments of inspiration happen while you're doing something completely different.